The following external resources, describing the stages of biotech/biomedical startups, go beyond the early stages presented on this website to include later stages through the stage of having a mature product.
Understanding Prototype Development Phases For Medical Products Med Device Online. 2019:
Describes five phases of development for medical products:
- Proof of concept – Mockup used to evaluate feasibility, performance, usability
- Alpha – Initial design and prototype that looks and works like final product and testing that it meets requirements and specifications.
- Beta – Refinement, planning, and preparing for production and testing.
- Pilot – Further refinements to the design and production process. Transfer to manufacturing with quality control.
- Mature product – Refinements based on user feedback, refinements to production for cost saving and yield.
5 Phases of Medical Device Development Greenlight Guru. 2023:
Describes the following phases of medical device development:
- Initiation, opportunity, and risk analysis
- Formulation, concept, and feasibility
- Design and development verification and validation
- Final validation/project launch preparation, product launch
- Post-launch assessment.
Describes four steps for startup growth and their management:
- Developing a customer base
- Market expansion
- Exiting from CEO role or selling the company (for many scientists, but not all)
What Different Biotechnology Startup Stages Face LinkedIn. 2023:
In addition to the stages described by most sources, this resource includes a description of a very early “bootstrapping” stage, which is before the seed funding stage.