Examples of Over 100 Successful Women Life Scientist Entrepreneurs
Stories: Successful Women Entrepreneurs in Biotechnology
- OzoneBio – The story of two female biochemist PhDs, with an invention they call the “zombie cell”, which they use to produce bio-nylon from waste feedstock, in an emissions-free, low-cost process. By Pae Wu, July 15, 2021. Source: Founder Stories. IndieBio
- SyntheX Labs – An interview with founder and CEO, Maria Soloveychik. SyntheX is “a biotech company developing peptide therapeutics for cancer and other rare diseases.”
- Podcast: Episode 88: The Science of Starting a Biotech. Yan Chen, CEO of Elpis Biopharmaceuticals, discusses how she transformed her scientific background into launching her own biotech. By Elaine Quilici. August 2021.
- Video: Spinout Journey – Stories of getting started from 5 British entrepreneurs, mostly women. Talks about passion, inspiration, and what is needed to get more women involved in entrepreneurship.
- Video: The Ethnic Minority Women Entrepreneurs in Biotech (International Women’s Day) – By Biotech Basics. Hear descriptions of their inspirations, career paths, and accomplishments. Many are also accomplished in helping to promote other women in STEM and entrepreneurship.
Examples of Successful Women Entrepreneurs in Life Sciences
- The Top 25 Women Leaders in Biotech of 2021 – List by the Healthcare Technology Report
- The Top 25 Women Leaders in Medical Devices of 2021 – List by the Healthcare Technology Report
- 2019‘s, 2020‘s Fiercest Women in Life Sciences – Lists by Fierce Pharma, Questex LLC. Includes medical technology since 2017.
- The Next Generation of Women Founders and Entrepreneurs in Biotechnology Is Ready to Disrupt the Biohealth Industry –Describes 6 women from the capital biohealth industry featured in this 2019 article in BioBuzz by Steven Surdez for “building innovative biohealth companies.”
- The Scientist Who Saved the World. The story of Dr. Katalin Karikó whose work with mRNA and promoting its possible applications contributed to the development of mRNA vaccines for Covid 19. By Mattie Kahn November 2, 2021. Glamour.
- The role of women in biotechnology. Includes the stories of over 25 women who had major contributions in biotechnology. These women were leaders and pioneers and many were entrepreneurs. Part of What is Biotechnology which champions the role of women in the field.
Women Who Have Had SBIR Phase II Funding in Biological and Biomedical Technology. 2 Examples
14 Public Life Sciences/Biomedical Companies Founded by Women
- Advaxis Immunotherapies, a biotechnology company dedicated to immunotherapies for cancer and infectious diseases, founded by Dr. Yvonne Paterson
- Annovis Bio, drug development to treat neurological diseases such as dementia founded by Maria L. Maccecchini
- Astria Pharmaceuticals, Inc., developing a drug specifically designed to treat a rare disorder, cofounded by Jill C. Milne.
- Athira Pharma, develops treatments for neurological disease, founded by Leen Kawas
- Ayala Pharmaceuticals, makes therapies for rare genetic cancers, founded by Roni Mamluk
- Caladrius Biosciences, develops stem-cell therapies for the treatment of various diseases, founded by Catherine Vaczy
- Cortexyme, Inc., biopharmaceutical company that focuses on developing treatments for degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, founded by Casey Lynch
- Editas Medicine, genome-editing firm, researches and develops therapies for treating genetic based diseases, founded by Jennifer A. Doudna with Feng Zhang and J. Keith Joung.
- Glycomimetics Inc., designs and develops natural molecule-therapy to fight cancer, founded by Rachel King and John Magnani
- Jaguar Health, provides natural prescription products designed to promote gastrointestinal health in both humans and animals, founded by Lisa A. Conte
- Marrone Bio, aims to enhance the agricultural industry by producing natural biopesticides, founded by Pamela Marrone
- Myovant Sciences, Ltd., biopharmaceutical company that develops therapeutics for endocrine disorders, founded by Lynn Seely
- Twist Bioscience, uses synthetic DNA tools, founded by Emily Leproust and Bill Banyai
- Veracyte, conducts molecular testing with an end goal of lowering the price of effective healthcare, founded by Bonnie Anderson
Source: – 31 Public Companies Founded by Women by The Story Exchange. Half are in the biotechnology industry.